Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Bar-Kochba Rebellion Treasures



Hi Everyone!

The largest-ever known number of coins from the time of Bar Kochba, the Jewish leader against Roman invaders, has been discovered in the Judean Hills by cave researchers from Hebrew and Bar-Ilan universities.

The research team found three batches of bronze, silver and gold coins (total of 120 coins) in a deep cavern in a nature reserve. Pottery and weapons also were discovered.

The cavern was used as a hiding place for Jewish rebels during the Bar Kochba rebellion over 1,900 years ago.

I posted photos of the discovery at:
www.jr.co.il/pictures/israel/things/bar-kochba-rebellion-treasures.htm

Have a good day,
Jacob

1 comment:

Ellen Brazer said...

This is so exciting to me! I am writing a fictional novel about Bar Kockba and so I can't tell you what this means to me. I have a blog and I would love for you to take a look and comment. I will be posting the book as I go along. ellenb9815.wordpress.com

I am looking for scholars to give me their opinions as I write. I am going to use historical facts to set up the building of the Third Temple and the discovery of the Holy of Holies. Thank you,
Ellen Brazer